Cities are responsible for 75% of global energy consumption and 80% of all greenhouse gas emissions – mostly burnt up in heating or cooling buildings, and things like lighting the streets. Green buildings consume less energy and fewer resources. We have listed down few interesting facts you should know about Green Real Estate.
1. LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices.
2. UAE is among top 10 countries registered and certified with LEED.
3. 73 percent of firms in UAE planning green institutional projects.
4. Large old buildings often waste up to 40% of their energy in heating or cooling, just because of poor systems and controls.
5. Green roofs or roof gardens also save energy and improve the environment.
6. Designing cities by having new mixed used developments can reduce energy consumption so people have to travel less.
7. Low energy street lights can save up to 60% of annual electricity bills.
8. Polymer cement can save up to 3% of global emission.
9. Better building insulation can save up to 40% of energy cost.
10. 40% of all energy used in the lifetime of a typical commercial building is spent putting it up (30%) and taking it down (10%).